Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blah

So I'm in that after the holidays and have to work funk. I was doing so well not putting on any more weight during Christmas (OK I weighed myself on Christmas night, so technically the weight didn't have time to settle on), then I weighed myself again after New Year's (and after finishing all the chocolate that was in the stockings) and the results weren't so good. I only gained 4 pounds, but my goal was to not gain any. So at this point I've gained all the weight I lost before having Brianna (36 pounds - I still can't believe I ever lost 36 pounds, much less that I've gained it all back). The desire to have another baby was a huge motivator for me to lose weight. Now I don't want to have any more babies and I'm having a very hard time finding a motivator. So I've been a little depressed - coupled with the fact that we didn't get our annual Christmas vacation with Greg's family (I really look forward to recharging my batteries then).

But I keep getting really great news from friends and family, so things are looking up. And today I did it! I keep saying I'm going to, but today I did. I worked out at lunch. I was just going to do 20 minutes on the eliptical (yes, I'm very lucky that we have a gym in the building). But my dear friend, Ashley (and my second wife), used her power of persuasion to get me to do 30 minutes. Yes, I sweated. Then in her torturous way, she had me do 20 push-ups, 20 crunces on the ball, and I did two sets of planks counting to 30 each time (yes, I counted really, really fast).

So what was it that motivated me FINALLY to go down to the gym? Well, my back went out on Saturday and then again on Monday. I missed worked. I was actually lying in bed Monday morning debating whether to have Greg bring me one of Brianna's pull-ups before he left with the kids. That thought and the subsequent holding it for two hours before I could get out of bed finally made me realize I've gotten to the point where I have to start working out again - if only to be able to function like a normal human being.

I really wish I could become addicted to exercise like I am to chocolate. Ah good German/Swiss chocolate that melts in your mouth - I will not see you again . . . at least until Easter.

So my current goal is to do some sort of ab and/or back exercises, so I can avoid these back issues.

Oh and just so you know, both Liam and Brianna were very helpful and wanted to know if I needed Mr. Bump (a little frozen goo man) or a bandaid. Such sweet children when they aren't beating on each other.

No comments: