Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Daughter the Kleptomaniac

So Brianna is starting to develop a bad habit.  She likes to take other people’s stuff or just stuff that she shouldn’t be taking.  I don’t know if it’s related to her squirrel like behavior of stashing stuff all over the house (like the random used battery I found in a drawer in the kids’ bathroom).

Earlier in the week, my mom picked up the kids and brought them home for me.  On the way home my mom called me from her car and Brianna was talking about her new DSi (hand held gaming system for those not in the know).  I didn’t think much of it at the time and then she got home.  She showed me her new DSi, which was a corner piece of a plastic castle with the door missing (see pictures below) and she turned it on its side.  She showed me which button to press to play the Scooby-Doo game and which button to press to play the Ariel mermaid game.  I asked my mom where Brianna got the toy.  Evidently Brianna told my mom it was hers.  So I asked Brianna where she got it. 

Her answer, “I got it on my field trip.”

I say, “What field trip?”

Brianna, “My field trip to the dinosaur museum.”

My mom and I just looked at each other as Greg tried really hard not to start laughing in the kitchen.  We all know there is no dinosaur museum anywhere near Monterey and there was no field trip of any kind.  It took awhile to get her to admit to the issue.  When I took the toy back to school this morning her primary teacher told me a bunch of kids where outside pretending they were playing DS games.  She also informed me they don’t call it “stealing”, they call it “borrowing without permission”.   I call it “Mommy is going to have to bail a 12 year old Brianna out of jail for shoplifting”.  I think Uncle Mike is going to have to do an intervention.

And then today I walk in to pick up Brianna and her teachers tell me that she has a chicken bone from lunch in her cubby.  They decided to let her keep it after trying to convince her to throw it away.  And sure enough she had a chicken bone wrapped up in a paper towel that she just had to bring home.  She has plans to let it dry out and then paint it.  She also made me smell it.  Yes, smell it.  The things we do for our children.  And for those of you that are curious, it smelled like BBQ sauce.

I have a feeling that I might be able to do a regular weekly post on what Brianna has “borrowed without permission” and/or what weird item our squirrel has stashed in some random place.

Oh and in case you are keeping track – I still haven’t found my blackberry and now Liam’s DS is missing.  Time to go on another treasure hunt.

The corner of a castle with the door missing
Brianna's DSi

No comments: