April is the Month of the Military Child. Although Greg got out of the Army before our kids were born, they attend an Army sponsored day care center (which the kids get to go to because we're civilian employees). Anyway, there are fun activities every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the month of April. So you may wonder, why is she bringing this up.
Well, last Thursday Liam got up in the morning and told Greg that he had to make a hat for school that day. Greg tried to use his Mickey Mouse ears hat, but Liam insisted that he had to MAKE a hat and it needed to be a marching band hat. So Greg did a last minute art project with Liam and made what is a pretty cute marching band hat out of paper they colored on and taped together. Liam even wrote his name on it. I can not stress enough how huge that is - HE WROTE HIS OWN NAME - for the second time. His teacher has been working with him at school because it's one of his weaker areas. So we were very proud of him for that fact.
But back to the story. So I took the kids into school that day and Liam wore his new hat. On the way to school, Liam was getting upset because he didn't have hats for everyone in his class. I said he could talk to his teachers about doing that at school or we could make them at home that night. Then he got really upset and almost started to cry. When I asked him what the matter was, he said that he didn't know how to make everyone's letters (i.e. write their names). So I finally got him calmed down by telling him that we could make the hats and then each child could write their own name on them. When we got to school, I made a point to let everyone know that he had written his name on the hat because we were so proud of him. Later that day, when I went to pick the kids up, I was talking to his teacher and she said it took her most of the day, but she finally realized why Liam has wearing the hat. It seems that the class had decided to make hats for the Classes on Parade on April 4th. So Liam had jumped the gun a little, they didn't even give a handout to the parents about it until Friday afternoon.
Now we just have to make sure to keep the hat safely out of Brianna's reach.
Some of the other fun stuff they get to do this month include: Petting Zoo, Inside Out Day, Stuffed Animal and Pajama Day, Bike Day, Safety Day (when the firemen and police come to school). He'll also be getting graduation pictures this month - all the kids moving onto Kindergarten get graduation pictures. I'm still in a little bit of denial about this fact. I can't believe he's already going to be starting school. He's very excited about taking a lunch to school like the big kids do.
Anyway, during this Month of the Military Child please keep these kids in your thoughts/prayers - it's not an easy life and even harder if you have a parent/s deployed.
No comments:
Post a Comment